Welcome

I'm glad you dropped by. If you are planning an electrical project in the near future and would like some advice on it, I'd be happy to share some of my 35 years of experience with you.

Below you'll find postings on service upgrades, generator installations, and how to chose a contractor. There are a number of electrical contractors in our area who have built a reputation for good work and I'm happy to be one of them. Let me know if you've found anything helpful, or if you have further questions. And you don't need to be a customer to ask!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Choosing an Electrician

Electrical work, whether repairs or new installations doesn't come cheap. Certainly, for a homeowner it is important to be able to find an electrician who can come when needed, but also be trustworthy.

Most advice for dealing with any tradespeople for work beyond a service call insists on getting three written quotes with references, which in turn should be checked out before signing on the dotted line. I participate in an online forum for U.S. renovation contractors, and the discussion on this matter is exactly what I find here in Orillia.

In larger centers like Toronto, homeowners depend on the Yellow Pages, where three prices makes sense. Even in a similar sized community to Orillia, nearer to Toronto, I had good success in growing a contracting business by advertising. Although Orillia has long had city status, it behaves much more like a small town, I've learned in the twenty years I've done business here. I've advertised, with little result. Orillia, like any small community,operates on "word of mouth" and personal recommendations. This can be frustrating for people new to the community, but keeps costs down. For the contractor, pricing three or four jobs for every one you get is costly, it takes time to investigate a proposed project or pricing; it's time you aren't earning. Also, if you get a job through the recommendation of a long-time customer, you can be fairly sure you will be paid promptly.

Lastly, there is always the issue of availability. Established renovation contractors in Orillia get considerable repeat business,and can be booked ahead for many months. Electrical work is somewhat different, but it can still be a choice of waiting or planning ahead, or accepting whatever price or workmanship is available.

Recommendations are best. I've built a good reputation, as have many other electrical contractors here in town. A good contractor will explain what options you as a customer may have, make an effort to accommodate your schedule, work neatly and respectfully while in your home and try to complete the work in reasonable time.

Any more questions? Contact me at davearmishaw@live.ca and I'll try to help you out.

2 comments:

  1. Recomendations are the best, as are relationships with other non-competing contractors that do contracting work:

    Off the top of my head: contractors, carpenters, remodelors, designers, plumbers, plasterers, etc.

    There are the guys we work with on jobs weekly and can become a great resource of future and continual referred jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I are working on some remodels, and we need some electrical help. We have been trying to find the right electrician, but there are so many choose from! Your last point really stuck out to me, you need to find someone who is available when you need them to be. I think right now, that is how we should make our decision, so we can get this project done.

    http://www.etcs.net.au

    ReplyDelete