Welcome

I'm glad you dropped by. If you are planning an electrical project in the near future and would like some advice on it, I'd be happy to share some of my 35 years of experience with you.

Below you'll find postings on service upgrades, generator installations, and how to chose a contractor. There are a number of electrical contractors in our area who have built a reputation for good work and I'm happy to be one of them. Let me know if you've found anything helpful, or if you have further questions. And you don't need to be a customer to ask!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Apprenticeship Ratios: Ontario's Trades Conundrum

I've posted a couple times on my companion blog, Dave's Skilled Workers Blog, on the new Ontario College of Trades recently instituted by the McGinty government. One of the first issues to be tackled is the 3:1 ratio of journeymen to apprentices. In my day the ratio was 1:1, and with all the concern about boomers like myself retiring, there is no way to graduate new journeymen, considering the attrition rate between sign-up and completion, without dealing with the ratio. I don't know the history on why it was changed, and would be very interested in any assistance in finding out.

It's astonishing considering all the media coverage of "skilled worker shortages" that we're dealing with this at this time. The suggestion has been made that we should import tradesmen to fill the gap. No, let's get Ontario young people into apprenticeships!

This is definitely an issue the public needs to be aware of.

http://davesskilledworkersblogs.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment